24 August 2007

Featured Artist - Carel Brest van Kempen


Flipping through my blog lists a few nights ago, I visited Carel Brest van Kempen's blog Rigor Vitae . Check out his extremely imaginative, exquisitely detailed work on his blog as well as on his webpage . The painting which struck a chord with me on this visit to his blog is this fanastic image of a Ferruginous Hawk. The detail in the rock face, lichens, twigs, grasses as well as in the bird itself is stunning. This piece in particular reminds me very much of the work of Raymond Harris Ching . I can only imagine the hours and hours of work it must take to render even the smallest patch of vegetation or scratch of earth. For a bit of insight into the artist, there is an interesting video touching on his goals as conservation minded artist linked from a recent post on Rigor Vitae.

No comments: